Friday, August 12, 2011

Saturday, Aug. 6

This morning we got up at 5:15 a.m. so we could be in Angel Fire at about 6:30 for the Balloon Rally.  15 hot air balloons were slated to go up.   We got there about the same time most of the balloon rigs were pulling in.  It was a beautiful morning, about 50 degrees, no wind and the sun came up over the mountain just as we were getting out of the car.
Neither one of us had been this close to balloons and their baskets.  Amazing how really small the baskets really are.

Al taking one of many, many pics.   He had a great time.

Al with his almost 92 year old mother, Martha.

Got back to the campground in time for our Chuck Wagon breakfast.  About 10:30 we all piled in the truck and headed for Cimarron, an old historic town.  We first visited the St. James Hotel.  Still an active hotel, with lots of history.  It's saloon, restaurant and 43 rooms were witness to at least 26 murders during Cimarron's wilder days, most committed in "self-defense".
Clay Allison, Black Jack Ketchum and Buffalo Bill Cody have all left their mark on the St. James, as attested by the numerous bullet holes in the tin ceiling of the main dining room.

Bat Masterson and one of the James brothers also stayed here.   We did not eat here, but would have loved to come back and had a drink in the bar. 

After we left the hotel we drove out to Philmont to tour the house.
                                                          Listening to the tour guide before entering the house.

                                                Putting our shoes back on after the inside tour.  No shoes allowed!
 Some outside shots:

I did not get a shot of the front of the house.  So, you will all have to visit.   For all you Bartlesville folks, it really reminded me a lot of LaQuinta.

     If this was not enough for one day, we stopped in at an old grist mill, turned museum on our way home, back in Cimarron.

Went back to our ice cream store for a little snack and then took naps!

     Tonight I decided to cook some chicken tenders, baked potato, and salad.  After the first bite, we realized they were fish tenders!  I am not real good at reading frozen food labels.  I guess I just go by the pictures, and there was not one picture of a fish on the package!   We caught the last few minutes of the evening's entertainment.  A guitar and fiddle player.   I think we all hit the beds early tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment